Book Review - It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover (No Spoilers)

Monday, February 13, 2017

"Fifteen seconds. That's all it takes to completely change everything about a person. Fifteen seconds that we'll never get back."

 
HOLY SHIT! It Ends With Us is one of the most powerful, raw, honest, inspiring and profoundly beautiful stories I've ever read. It wasn't anything like what I expected, but it delivered so much more than I ever hoped for. This is the kind of book that I want to give to every woman and just be like.. READ THIS BOOK. NOW. Come to think of it, all men should read it too. EVERYONE should read this book. Absolutely everyone. It's a story of unshakable love and finding the strength to make the right choice in the hardest situation. I honestly don't think I've ever been prouder of a heroine. Colleen Hoover is an overall amazing author and her writing is always different and unique but this story left a lasting mark on my heart. It is a MUST-READ!!

This is a completely spoiler-free review. I'm not even going to add the blurb or tell you what this book is about. It's a Colleen Hoover book. Enough said. But I really feel that you should just dive into this book without knowing anything about the plot, because I went into this book without knowing anything at all... and I was blown away the story!

This book is unputdownable! You'll notice as you read that there are literally no good stopping points. None at all. I began reading it in the afternoon and everything I tried to put it down to go to the bathroom or to go get dinner, I just had to try and multi-task because there was no way I was putting it down. I didn't finish until 2 AM but my gosh was it ever worth it!

Of all the heroines I've ever read, Lily was 100% the one I admired the most. I knew I loved her from the first few pages, but having finished the book, I truly couldn't be prouder of her. Her strength and conviction over the course of this story made her into a heroine I'd want every girl and woman to read about and look up to. She was so real and vulnerable as we all are, but the strength with which she took control of her life was admirable on such a deep level and as I was going through some struggles while reading this book it put into perspective how I can take back the happiness in my life.

There's such an incredibly powerful message in this book that is very subtly woven in from the start. It begins in the first chapter, but you don't yet realise how significant each of these moments truly are... and as you read more, these pieces of the story come together forming a scenario that gives such a raw, honest, portrayal of an incredible relevant issue. I'm not mentioning it on purpose because I don't want you to expect it. The fact that it's unexpected for you as the reader is very important because it's also unexpected for the heroine. As she begins to realise what kind of situation she's in, so do you. And this realisation very much allows you to experience her journey with her.

As a romance reader, I found this book incredibly refreshing. As much as I adore the romance genre (and I really do), it sometimes can get a little repetitive. As both an avid reader, I'm always looking for books that step outside the lines a little; ones that do something different or take the issues a little deeper. This book represented exactly what I wish I could be reading all the time - not this literal story, but just the fact that it went in such a different direction and gave me such an unexpected story that left me with such a strong message.

One of the things that intrigued me the most and had me wondering throughout the whole book was what the title really meant - and there's this very specific moment when the title echoed in the story that just had such a strong impact as I read it. That was my cheer moment. I just sat back and went 'woah!'. The title is truly perfect.

This is now one of my top favourite books the year (even though it came out last year). I was unable to put it down from the moment I started reading and I know that this is one of those profoundly beautiful and unforgettable stories that will stay with me for a long time. I highly recommend it to everyone!

"That's what fifteen minutes can do to a person. It can destroy them. It can save them." 

You Might Also Like

0 comments